City of St. Helena
The City of St. Helena is located in the center of the world famous wine growing Napa Valley, 65 miles north of San Francisco. The area was settled in 1834 as part of General Vallejo's land grant. The City of St. Helena was incorporated as a City on March 24, 1876 and reincorporated on May 14, 1889.
The City from its inception has served as a rural agricultural center. Over the years, with the growth and development of the wine industry, the City has become an important business and banking center for the wine industry. The City also receives many visitors as a result of the wine industry and the area's scenic qualities. The main goal of the City is to maintain a small-town atmosphere and to provide quality services to its citizens.
The official population of the City of St. Helena as of 2000 is 5,950. St. Helena is a full service City and encompasses an area of 4 square miles. The City's General Fund Budget is approximately $6.7 million and the City has an assessed valuation of $1,031,356,008.
The City of St. Helena is a General Law City and operates under the Council-City Manager form of government. The City Council is the governing body and has the power to make and enforce all laws and set policy related to municipal affairs. The City Manager is responsible for carrying out the policies of the City Council and for the proper and efficient management of municipal activities. The City Manager directs and manages the various departments and municipal services through appointed Department Heads who directly supervise and administer the various City programs, services, and activities.
– See more at: http://www.ci.st-helena.ca.us/content/about-st-helena#sthash.m5lpuceh.dpuf